Storying the climate impact of our digital lives
The Gyre is an immersive narrative experience for mobile devices and screen that explores our digital consumption using the metaphorical concept of the gyre, a phenomenon where marine pollution forms a swirling ‘garbage vortex’ in the oceans.
The Gyre uses data compiled from users’ online habits to tell the story of the invisible metadata that we rely upon every day, and how the imprint of our digital world is as impactful as our physical world.
By relating the narrative experience to users’ everyday lives, the project aims to create agency and an emotive connection with users’ own stories. Visualising the impact of digital behaviours encourages users to engage with different narratives around climate change and make adjustments in their daily lives.
Web app via mobile device
- Jonny Briggs, Creative Director
- Greg Povey, Producer
- Jasmine Forbes, 3D & Motion Designer
- Andy Marshall, Developer
- Peter Dixon, Architecture Consultant
- Nathan Bray, Interactive Designer
- Benjamin Hall, Narrative and Academic Lead (University of Leeds)
- Ollie Harrison, 3D Designer
- Rudi Boutnaud – Development Consultant